Good evening lovelies,
Tonight’s recipe is a five- ingredient mocktail which was rather popular at all too many of our Halloween parties. This retro recipe can be made to be rather ghoulish, all thanks toa the addition of a few simple ingredients. Unfortunately, I don’t have any grenadine (Indeed, somebody didn’t properly plan..) and as such I couldn’t take any photographs to share with you, but I hope that at the very least, this step by step tutorial will land you with satisfying results.
In my youth, my parents were extremely creative people. Every time Halloween and Christmas came around, the ideas came out in abundance. The preparations and creativities were always a family affair and these Vampire’s Blood mocktails were always met with an equal mix of horror and curiosity. Even when that wore off, it was still amusing when our young friends told their parents that Vampire’s Blood is actually pretty tasty. Needless to say, an explanation was typically needed after that one!
Essentially, this drink is the old lemonade float revisited. If you grew up in the 80’s and 90’s, you probably remember these and variants thereof. The addition of grenadine allows you to create a striking visual effect which is red at the bottom of the glass, and clear towards the top. Add only a few drops at a time as the grenadine will “cloud” at the bottom of the glass and the colour will spread up somewhat. If you add too much, the colour will spread too far and the visual effect will be lost. The absence of alcohol also makes this drink a fun bubbly treat for all ages.
Alright, so let’s get started.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Lemonade or cream soda (ramune soda could also work, too!)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Grenadine syrup
- Strawberry ice cream sauce
- Gummy vampire fangs
- To begin, fill a hi-ball glass to approximately 1-1.5″ below the rim of the glass with your preferred clear soda. Whatever you choose must be clear and not coloured in any way as that will impede the effect.
- Carefully add a small splash of grenadine syrup. Remember not to add more than a few drops at a time and add a little more if desired.
- Take a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and carefully place it on top of the lemonade. Be careful not to submerge the ice cream as it will foam excessively and make a mess.
- Carefully drizzle a few drops of strawberry ice cream sauce on top of the ice cream and place some gummy fangs on top. Finish with a black or red paper straw. Enjoy!